Read More about your instructor: The Art Studio NY Staff
LOCATION: NYC’s Top Museums, Parks, and Gardens on the Upper East and West Sides. Specific meeting locations will be emailed upon registration and payment.
Calling all creative kids and teens who are inspired by New York City and are excited to create ART in person! New York City is home to the world’s finest collections of fine art, design, history, architecture, parks and culture. In this inspiring, engaging and FUN fear-free summer “camp style” art adventure, let’s explore and express our inner-artists as we make New York City our summer art playground! Every week, two museums and one beautiful outdoor park become our inspiring art studio where our inner-artists will soar! Ranging from The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, Museum of The City of New York, El Barrio and The Museum of Natural History, our summer art program will be a safari for the artistic senses!
While creating artwork in NYC’s most incredible museums as well as “en plein air” (in the magic of the outdoors) like famous artists Monet and Georgia O’Keeffe did, learn about the world’s most inspiring artists and styles while developing your own authentic self-expression. Create personalized artwork in styles such as impressionism, fauvism, cubism, realism, portraiture, manga, graffiti, landscape art, and more with art supplies including pencil, watercolors, mixed-media, collage, colored pencils, and pastels. Express yourself while learning tons of artistic techniques including shading, 3D effect, perspective, composition, realism, abstraction, layering, cross hatching, and more!
In this not-to-be-missed summer program of art, friendship and FUN, artists will:
- Explore and learn new drawing, painting, and mixed-media art techniques while creatively tapping into their unique self-expression
- Feel energized by New York City’s artworld, museums, architecture, diversity, culture, and natural beauty
- Have fun and socialize with old and new friends while tapping into the freedom, joy and wellbeing benefits of creativity, artmaking and cultural summer fun
- Enjoy tailor-made, encouraging and non-judgemental one-on-one art instruction from our New York City professional artists and art educators while creating artwork with watercolor paints, pastels, colored pencils, found objects, collage, mixed-media and more
- Explore some of the world’s most inspiring museums and galleries as our muse
- Learn dozens of new artistic techniques such as blending, shading, perspective, 3D effect, layering, color mixing, multimedia materials, manga, and more!
- Tap into our imagination and inner-artists while learning drawing and painting techniques and unique artists styles in landscape art, abstraction, realism, architecture, sketching, impressionism, pop art, comics and cartooning, watercolor painting, and more!
- Learn how to draw, paint, and create artwork “En Plein Air” outdoors like famous artists have for centuries
- Discover one’s unique artistic style while freely expressing themselves
- Receive the lasting benefits of art classes proven by science, including increased communication skills, enhanced relaxation, greater focus, increased self-esteem, boosted social skills and heightened academic success
Sample Schedule: Summer Art Safari in NYC Museums and Parks
MUSEUM MONDAY: Drawing Safari at The MET! Asian Art Galleries Scavenger Hunt Drawing Day: View the nature-infused art of China, Korea and Japan with fun group games and surprises; Create art projects including gesture drawings, 3D shading sketches, and compositional drawings of Koi Fish in The Garden Court.
PLEIN AIR PAINTING TUESDAY: Landscape Drawing and Painting in Central Park Georgia O’Keeffe, Henri Matisse and Monet all created famous artwork outdoors, and we will too! Color Group art games, learning the art of mark making, fast and slow artwork, and expressing our own style through art.
PLEIN AIR PAINTING WEDNESDAY: : NYC Sketchbook, Comics and Manga Spirit NYC is home to cultures and artists from around the globe. Capture NYC’s diversity and freedom while we learn about current NYC artists and make our own NYC-inspired cityscapes, comics and cartoons, and tell our own story through art.
THURSDAY AT THE MET: African Drawing Safari at The MET Discover the magic and mystery of making art that is inspired by African Art Galleries, and create personalized artwork inspired by masks, instruments, and dance through sketchbook art, thumbnail sketching, shading, and imagination.
NEW YORK FRIDAY: The City is Our Canvas at The Museum of The City of New York NYC’s Melting Pot will inspire personalized portrait artwork that encourages authenticity, self-empowerment and mixed-media materials such as collage, colored pencils, and graphite.
Materials are not included. Due to health and safety during COVID times, we do not provide art supplies for our museum summer art program. A simple art supply list will be provided upon registration and all participants are expected to bring their own art supplies daily. Daily meeting spots will be shared upon registration and all will be on the Upper East or Upper West Sides at easily accessible locations.
Purchase our discounted art kit or see our online materials list.